Here you´ll find everything you need to know as a racer at ÖTILLÖ The Swimrun World Championship. Please read this throughly as the information is important for your experience before and during the race.
Good luck and have fun!
Mats Skott +46 (0) 73 525 97 01
Michael Lemmel +46 (0) 73 525 97 02
|Wednesday, August 28th, 2019|
|23:59||Last day to make team changes (individual names and team names) These changes must be sent to email@example.com before midnight.|
|Sunday, September 1st, 2019|
|13:00||Bus’ leave Stockholm City|
|14:30 – 16:45||MANDATORY Race registration must be completed before the race meeting. See what you need to bring in the registration section below|
|17:00||MANDATORY Race meeting in the big, confrence room to the left of the reception – Djurönäset|
|18:00 – 19:15||Dinner teams 70 – 82, 301 – 350, 401 – 426|
|19:15 – 21:00||Dinner Teams: all others|
|Monday, September 2nd, 2019 – Race day|
|04:30||Start loading ferries|
|04:45||FERRY LEAVES FROM DJURÖNÄSET TO START – bring all your things|
|05:30||Bags on ferry at Sandhamn|
|05:40||Ready at start line|
|05:50 – 06:10||Start|
|15:30 – 23:00||Post race banquet at Utö Värdshus|
|21:30||Monday Night Ferry|
|Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019|
|11:45||Arrival Stockholm City|
The ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship is between the island of Sandhamn and the island of Utö in the Stockholm archipelago. We suggest you fly to Stockholm.
Travel to Djurönäset
On September 1st you need to be on our chartered bus’ that will take you to the start hotel (Djurönäset) in time for all the official protocol. Make sure you are on time and do not miss it as it will jeopordize your start.
The buses leave from Cityterminalen, the largest bus station in Stockholm located in the city center. In the terminal you will find large departure boards. Your destination, ÖTILLÖ, will be displayed about one hour before departure. It will tell you which gate to go to. www.cityterminalen.com/en
The departure time is at 13:00 – the bus’ will not wait and can be loaded from 12:45. The bus is ONLY for racers and persons who have bought SPECTATOR PACKAGES. You can buy Spectator packages here
Return to Stockholm
There are two different chartered ferries to return with.
One is on Monday evening at 21:30 from Utö, to a waiting bus at Årsta Brygga, which will take you to Stockholm City Terminal with an arrival time at about 23:30 on Monday night. If you plan to take this ferry you must book it before- hand, it is free for you as a racer.
The second option is with a ferry straight to Stockholm City (Strömkajen) on Tuesday morning at 08:30 from Utö with an arrival at no later than 11:45.
The second is Tuesday morning at 08:30 from Utö with an arrival in Stockholm City (Strömkajen) at no later than 11:45.
We suggest that you do not book your return flight for earlier than Tuesday late afternoon. If you have an earlier flight you should take the Monday night ferry.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us which ferry you will want to take so we make sure you have space. Must be done before August 20th.
In your race fee the accommodation is included for the start hotel, Sunday night at Djurönäset and the finish hotel at Utö. Two dinners and two breakfasts are also included.
The registration will be at Djurönäset on Sunday September 1st 14:30-16:45.
All racers have to come to the registration.
You must bring and display the following to receive your start pack:
- Your photo ID
- 1 whistle per person
- 1 wetsuit per person, suitable for the race conditions, (no Trisuits allowed)
- 1 Compass or watch compass
- 1 first aid pressure bandage
- Fins if applicable for approval according to the rules
At the registration you also need to sign that you have a valid insurance for the race.
Included in the start pack
- Timing chip to be returned, 1 per person
- Race bib, 1 per person
- Swim cap, 1 per person
- Race map
- ÖTILLÖ Give away, 1 per person
- Post- race dinner and drink voucher, 1 per person
Mandatory gear per team is:
- 1 First aid pressure bandage
- 2 neoprene wet suits
- 1 compass or watch compass
- 2 easy- accessible whistles (so you can blow the whistle when on the swims)
- Race bibs to be worn on the outside at all times
- Swim Cap that must be worn visible during all the swims
- 1 Map
- Timing chips
- Something to drink with at the energy stations as we will NOT have cups
Race bib and timing chip
The system we use is a chip that you attach around your right ankle with a Velcro strap and when you pass the timing checkpoint your time will be registered. We will have up to 11 checkpoints along the course and will be reporting your times live on the website.
We can only guarantee that you will be registered if you carry the chip around your right ankle. It is important that you return your chip after the race. Non-returned chip will be charged 100 €.
- Your race bib must be worn visible at all times
- Your swim cap must be worn on all swims
- Your timing chip must be worn on your right ankle at all times
The race briefing will be held in the main conference room next to the reception at Djurönäset at 17:00. Racers – sit in the front. Be on time.
The night before the start we are all staying at Djurönäset which is a 25-minute ferry ride from Sandhamn (where the start is). You will need to bring all your belongings on the ferry, well packed.
Those on SILVERPILEN (the name of the ferry) leave their bag on the ferry. Those who are on the other ferry must take their bags off the ferry and leave them on the quay where told by our staff. We will load it on SILVERPILEN after the start.
Please use the toilet in your hotel room before getting on the ferry. Please use the toilet on the ferry before arriving to Sandhamn. In Sandhamn there are toilets just behind the start area – on the land side. DO NOT go in the nature by the start line – it is a small village where people live.
To the left when you get off the boat in Sandhamn
The ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship course is hard. Make sure you study it well and manage your resources to finish. Study the updated times & distances document so you know the World-record speed and also what you must manage to not get caught in the CUT-OFFS.
The ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship has several Cut-offs. These are for your safety and for the safety of the organisation. Please respect these and our staff if you get taken off. You will not finish before dark unless you manage the times.
Please eat and drink what is offered, do not take more as there are others behind you.We will have energy and liquid stations along the course as marked in the course map.
- Please re-use your cup instead of taking multiple cups.
- We will have water and electrolytes by Precision Hydration at all stations.
- We will have energy bars from Crownhealth.
- Besides this we will have fruit and normal food.
- If you need gels, bring your own and carry in your wetsuit. Make sure you don’t drop the wrappers on the ground, you can leave it in the garbage cans at the energy stations.
If the race organisation feels that there is a danger for the racers or the organisation based on weather or other conditions the course can be changed the day before or even in the middle of the race. Safety is our priority.
- Take care of each other; it is a long and tough course.
- We have safety boats and are trying to do our best to cover the course.
- All teams have to help another team in an emergency.
- We have 2 medics and 1 doctor on the course.
- Communicate with race officials when help needed.
- If you abandon the race you must communicate with race officials as soon as possible and return the timing chip at ”RED HUT” marked timing chip at the top of the hill before the event area.
- You cannot wear a tow rope for the first run
- We suggest that you do NOT use a tow rope when running on the rocks.
We will NOT accept ANY trash along the course. If you throw any trash outside of the provided bins at the energy stations we will disqualify you straight away. Make sure you know how to carry any trash between the different energy stations.
Basic rules, make sure you understand as we will enforce them.
- You must have read and understood the rules before you start
- You race at your own risk
- The team has to stay together at all times. 10 metres apart is the maximum distance allowed.
- The teams have to follow the marked route
- It is not allowed to have assistance from other people than the race organisation. Breach of this rule will result in disqualification
- It is not allowed to throw trash along the course (The only places are in the BINS at the energy stations or other bins). Breach of this rule will result in disqualification
- The gear that you have from the start has to be brought to the finish
- FINS – if you plan to use fins make sure that they comply to the new FIN RULE – which means they CANNOT be longer than 15 cm beyond your foot.
You must have a valid personal insurance for racing in Swimrun. If you do not have one you can purchase it for the race or for the 2019 season, valid in all the races listed. It is an insurance that will repay your entry fee and travel costs if you have to withdraw prior to the race due to an accident or illness (you have to have a doctor’s certificate). Read more and buy your insurance here
IDTM will be doing drug testing at the 2019 ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship.
Everyone racing in the 2019 ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship is subject to testing and must be aware of the prohibited substances.
If the substance is on prohibited list, you, as an athlete should not take it as it will result in a positive test result and possible sanctions as outlined in the ÖTILLÖ Anti-Doping rules.
If you are required to use that specific substance for a legitimate medical reason diagnosed by a medical professional, you should discuss with the medical practitioner and try to find an alternative solution that is not prohibited.
If the medical practitioner confirms that there is no legal alternative, you must present valid documentation in English before August 20th – email@example.com – explaining why you have to use the prohibited substance and why there is no alternative substance. The diagnosis must be backed up with official medical exams and documents (in English). ÖTILLÖ has the right to contact the medical practitioner to request additional information.
During each race we make a big media production for social media and traditional media. You will see photographers, reporters and film teams. If you have any personal media contacts that would like to have material from us please email to firstname.lastname@example.org During the race we will cover it LIVE with a massive webcast production on https://otilloswimrun.com/live please spread the information to all your friends and family. We will also use #otillo to tag our posts, please do so too. Our images that we post from the race are free to use for you as racers but not allowed for commercial use to promote other products or events.
In early September we hopefully will find late Swedish summer weather. But, it can be the start of autumn. Make sure you bring clothes to stay warm. It can be anything between 5 – 20 degrees C.
Water temperatures will be between 15 – 17 degrees C depending on where along the course. Make sure you dress with a good wool layer underneath your wetsuit if you have a tendancy to be cold, use a Neoprene cap if you are not used to cold water.
Like everywhere we can have wind, rain and un-seasonably cold. Make sure you bring clothes to handle this.
Salt water. The water in the Baltic has very low salinity. Some teams will even race without swim goggles.
Spectators, friend and families
We welcome all spectators, friends and families to participate in our events. Please go to SPECTATORS on the website and book a Spectator package. There is no other way if you want to be part of the whole experience. Buy your Spectator package here NOTE: you may not assist any teams unless if it is a medical emergency. Any other assistance will result in disqualification of the team.
All teams that finish the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship will get ranking points. Check out the races, finish and collect your points at www.swimrunranking.com For ÖTILLÖ 2019 only teams with ranking points will be able to participate in the random team selection.