Racer information 2018
Here you will find everything you need to know as a racer at ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar 2018. Please read this thoroughly as the information is important for your experience before and during the race.
Good luck and have fun!
+46 (0) 735 25 97 01
+46 (0) 735 25 97 02
|Tuesday, April 3rd, 2018|
|23:59||23:59 Last day to make team changes for ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar (individual names and team names). These changes must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight.|
|Friday, April 6th, 2018|
|18:00||One hour presentation of ÖTILLÖ, swimrun, the future of ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series. Get together with one of the founder of swimrun, Michael Lemmel. Open for anyone, NOT mandatory. Hotel Amfora|
|Saturday, April 7th, 2018|
|09:00||Race briefing and bib distribution for ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar – Hotel Amfora|
|11:00||Start ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar – Hvar Main square|
|12:30||First teams expected to finish – Hvar Main square|
|14:10||Last teams across the finish line – Hvar Main square|
|14:30||Prize giving ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar – Hvar Main Square|
|16:30-18:00||Registration and bib distribution ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar – Hotel Amfora|
|17:30||Pre-race welcome drink – Hotel Amfora|
|18:15||MANDATORY Race briefing ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar – Hotel Amfora|
|Sunday, April 8th, 2018|
|09:00||Start ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar – Main Square|
|10:45||Cut-off – Point Pelegrin, Time 2|
|13:50||First teams expected to finish – Hvar main square|
|14:00||Cut-off – Hvar, Time 6|
|15:50||Cut-off – Milna, Time 8|
|17:15||Last teams across the finish line – Hvar Main square|
|18:00||Closing dinner and prize giving for ÖTILLÖ Hvar – Hotel Amfora|
The island of Hvar is off the coast of Croatia outside of Split. We suggest you fly to Split.
At the airport there is a bus service to the Split harbour to catch the ferry to Hvar town. The fast ferry leaves every day at 14:00 – the ride takes 65 minutes. There is also a car ferry later in the day to Stari Grad. From there you might be able to catch a bus to Hvar town (30 minutes). The fast ferry back to Split on Monday leaves 06:35. Can you also take a ferry from Starigrad at 11:30 to Split.
Read more about the ferry and buy your tickets at the ferry web site.
If you need any assistance please contact INCroatia with whom we work. They can organise your transfers and other services locally. They speak perfect English.
INCroatia travel, our local partner for Hvar have finalized a pre-race package for those of you deciding to arrive to ZADAR from Stockholm, London or Manchester on Ryanair flights. It’s quite convenient as there are very reasonable flights on Ryanair from all three of these destinations that all arrive within half hour into Zadar airport, late night.
It will be too late to catch the Hvar ferry, so you are transferred to a great place to sleep en route, where you can also do some training the next morning before setting out to Hvar.
We are staying at Hotel Amfora. It is perfectly situated, we will have all the functions there and the breakfast is amazing. The hotel has put together a great offer for everyone travelling for the race.
We strongly recommend their dinner option at €15, you cannot beat that.
Both team members must come to the registration of either the Sprint or the World Series event. You must bring and sign the following:
- A photo ID
- 2 Whistles
- 1 First aid pressure bandage
- Sign that both team members have a valid insurance for the race
- Fins if applicable for approval according to the rules
You must have a valid insurance that covers you when racing. If you do not have one you can purchase The ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Insurance, which is a “Swimrun-Athletes-Insurance Program” with a recognized international Insurance Company. It is possible to buy this cover for single events only or for the entire Swimrun season.
Individual events €12,60 – €19,95, Entire season €37,80
Read more what the insurance offers and which Swimrun races that are included on https://otilloswimrun.com/insurance/
The race briefing for the Sprint and World Series event will be at Hotel Amfora.
Clearly indicated. Be on time. MANDATORY for both team members.
- Briefing for the ÖTILLÖ Sprint – Saturday, April 7th at 09:00
- Briefing for the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series – Saturday, April 7th at 18:15
Included in the start pack
- Swim cap x 2
- Race map
- ÖTILLÖ Give away x 2
- Timing chip to be returned
- Race bib to be returned x 2
- Swim cap x 2
- Race bib x 2
- Race map
- ÖTILLÖ Give away x 2
- Race briefing drink voucher x 2
- Post- race dinner voucher x 2
- 2 timing chips, to be returned
Race bib and timing chip
The system we use is a chip that each team member needs to a¬ttach around the right ankle with a Velcro strap and when passing the timing checkpoint your time will be registered. We will have several checkpoints along the course and will be reporting the times live on the website. We can only guarantee that you will be registered by carrying the chip around your right ankle. It is important that you return your chip after the race. Non-returned chip will be charged €100.
- Your race bib must be worn visible at all times
- Your swim cap must be worn on all swims
- Your timing chip must be worn on your right ankle at all times
Mandatory gear per team is:
- 1 first aid pressure bandage, packed waterproof
- 2 wet suits
- 1 compass / watch compass
- 2 whistles, 1 per person (easy-accessible for both swims and runs)
- Race bibs to be worn on the outside at all times
- Swim cap must be worn visible during all the swims
- 2 Timing chips
Logistic to get to start
The start for both races is at the city main square in Hvar. Make sure you are on-time.
- You have to be in the start box 10 minutes before the start
- Availability of toilets at the start are very limited
- If you need to leave clothing by the start line you must put it in a bag and leave on the indicated place by the start. Do not leave valuables as we cannot guarantee the content
The ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar does not have any cut-offs.
The ÖTILLÖ Hvar World Series has three (3) cut-offs. These are for your safety:
- TIME 2 at 10:45
- TIME 6 at 14:00
- TIME 8 at 15:50
We have cut-offs in our events to make sure that we can have a safe race, these are put in place so that everyone has a possibility to finish before dark and without jeopardizing the safety of others by stretching the safety organization too much. Please respect this and the people enforcing them.
We will have energy and liquid stations along the course as marked in the course map.
- Please eat and drink what is offered, do not take more as there are others behind you
- Please re-use your cup instead of taking multiple cups. See note on cups below
- We will have water and electrolytes by Precision Hydration at all stations
- We will have energy bars from Roobar at 1 station on the Sprint race and on 3 stations at World Series race
- Beside that we will have fruits and real food
- If you need gels, bring your own and carry in your wetsuit
Cups at ÖTILLÖ races
In our quest to leave as small of an environmental footprint as possible we have decided to take away the majority of disposable cups during our races. This means that we will ONLY have disposable, paper cups at the first two (2) energy stations for the race to be fair.
After that we expect YOU to have your own foldable cup or soft flask to be able to drink.
During the ÖTILLÖ Hvar weekend you will all be given a foldable cup.
- You must have read and understood the rules before you start
- You race at your own risk
- The team has to stay together at all times. 10 metres apart (on land and in the water) is the maximum distance allowed.
- If you abandon or stop, both team mates have to stop. One person cannot continue on his/her own.
- The teams have to follow the marked route
- It is not allowed to have assistance from other people than the race organisation. Food, drink or equipment support is strictly forbidden. Breach of this rule will result in disqualification
- It is not allowed to throw trash along the course (The only places are in the TRASH CANS at the energy stations). Breach of this rule will result in disqualification
- The gear that you have from the start has to be brought to the finish
- FINS – if you plan to use fins make sure that they comply to the new FIN RULE – which means they CANNOT be longer than 15 cm beyond your foot. The fins must be shown at registration for approval.
DO NOTS IN HVAR
- Do not swim across to the islands outside of the race, it is a shipping lane and can be very dangerous.
- Do not swim across the harbour basin outside of the race, it can be busy and very dangerous.
- Take care of each other; it is a long and tough course.
- We have safety boats and are trying to do our best to cover the course.
- All teams have to help another team in an emergency.
- We have several teams of medics on the course.
- Communicate with race officials when help needed.
- If you abandon the race you must communicate with race officials as soon as possible and return the timing chip at the finish line.
SPECIAL NOTE for the World Series event:
- You cannot wear a tow rope before the second swim
- You will get a safety buoy/ team for the swim from TIME 2 to TIME 3. You will get it at TIME 2 and you leave it at TIME 3
- We suggest that you do not use a tow rope between TIME 3 and TIME 4
If the race organisation feels that there is a danger for the racers or the organisation based on weather or other conditions the course can be changed the day before or even in the middle of the race. Safety is our priority.
Race course for ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar
Race course for ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar World Series Event
We will NOT accept ANY trash along the course. If you throw any trash outside of the provided bins at the energy stations we will disqualify you straight away. Make sure you know how to carry any trash between the different energy stations.
Weather in Hvar
In the beginning of April the spring has started with usually dry, sunny weather with outside temperatures close to 18 degrees, this means that it will be warmer in the sun. Water temperatures are between 16 – 17 degrees C.
Like everywhere we can have wind, rain and un-seasonably cold weather. Make sure you bring clothes to handle this.
The water in Hvar is salty, this has an advantage as you will have more flotation, it also has a disadvantage and that is the possibility for chafe. Make sure you prepare areas that rub so you enjoy both the beginning and the end of the race.
During each race we make a big media production for social media and traditional media. You will see photographers, reporters and film teams. If you have any personal media contacts that would like to have material from us please email to email@example.com
During the race we will cover it LIVE on https://otilloswimrun.com/live/ please spread the information to all your friends and family. We will also use #otillohvar to tag our posts, please do so too. Our images that we post from the race are free to use for you as racers but not allowed for commercial use to promote other products or events.
Spectators, friend and families
We strongly suggest you take the time to enjoy Hvar and bring your friends and family to enjoy a long weekend or the week with you. The same hotel deal is of course for them as well.
As the course passes through the town centre you will be able to see the start, the middle and the end of the race. The post-race dinner is open for all friends and family, you can buy a ticket on Friday or Saturday in the Hotel Amfora reception for €25/person.
Follow the race from a boat
If your families or friends wish to follow the race by boat please contact Tiana at INCroatia at firstname.lastname@example.org to get a quote.
If you want to bring your kids and need baby sitting please contact Tiana at INCroatia to get it organized email@example.com
NOTE: you may not assist any teams unless if it is a medical emergency. Any other assistance will result in disqualification of the team.
ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar will award 8 spots to ÖTILLÖ 2018, The Swimrun World Championship. These spots will be awarded to the teams, where no member already has a spot to ÖTILLÖ 2018. If a team does not accept the spot it rolls down to the next team in line. The entry fee must be paid by May 1st to keep the spot.
The Spots will be awarded as below:
- 3 men
- 3 mixed
- 2 women
If any spots are not awarded they belong to the race organisation.
All teams that finish a race which has ÖTILLÖ merit status will receive ranking points. Check out the races, finish and get points, www.otilloswimrun.com/ranking.
Since 2017 there is also a separate ranking system for the ÖTILLÖ Sprint Series.
Some of the slots to ÖTILLÖ World Championship 2019 will be offered to the teams with the best ranking points on December 31st each year.
Also, only teams with ranking points will be able to participate in the random team selection to the ÖTILLÖ, Swimrun World Championship, held in mid July. Read more about how to gain your spot for ÖTILLÖ
ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series 2018
Teams that finish top 30 in each category (Women/Men/Mixed) will collect points in the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series 2018. Your team can collect points from all ÖTILLÖ World Series events and the last ÖTILLÖ Sprint of 2018. No other ÖTILLÖ Sprints are included.
NOTE: To get points from the last ÖTILLÖ Sprint you will also have to finish the last ÖTILLÖ World Series race.
After the last ÖTILLÖ race of the year we will award the best team in each category with €2 500.
On the website you can find ÖTILLÖ branded goods. This is where you will find branded HEAD wetsuits, Vivobarefoot shoes and Gococo compression socks among other great stuff. Check it out here
Some of our partners will be in the event area at the finish line with some products on-site too.