ÖTILLÖ Swimrun weekend Engadin – Race Directors report
Dear Racers, friends and family
Last weekend in the Engadin was very special for us. It was the first time for us to organise an ÖTILLÖ Sprint on the Saturday and then the World Series race on the Sunday.
Leading up to the weekend we had fantastic weather and it felt really good to prepare everything our third year in Silvaplana.
For the first time ever we had more women than men that entered the Sprint. This was so good to see that the trend of more women coming into the sport is continued. Also from the 18 registered teams it was a Women’s Team Puppy MAD (Bibben and Lotta of ÖTILLÖ fame) and the Swiss mixed team Rushteam 3 who battled from start to finish. At the end Rushteam 3 with Jean- Claude Besse and Cendrine Gerosa crossed the line just seconds ahead of Puppy MAD. In third place overall also a mixed team, Cornelia Banwinkler & Erich Mikk. Meaning not one Men’s team on the overall podium! All in all the Sprints continue to prove that teams can come from all walks of life and have a great time racing. A fantastic start to the weekend.
Sunday started with a magic morning, 160 teams on the start line in Maloja and no wind. It was going to be a warm day. As the race set off the Men’s Team Campz and the Mixed Team Addnature/ Swedish Armed Forces set the pace. Coming down the first technical run to the first swim in a furious pace. Well in the water Daniel & Kristin passed Andre & Wolf – the race was on.
During the course of the day Daniel & Kristin showed their very good teamwork and strength on both the runs and swims. Building a lead all day and crossing the line as the first ever mixed team to win an ÖTILLÖ Swimrun event. Crushing the course record set by last years great Björn Englund with over 14 minutes!! A new trend is set. Thank you Daniel and Kristin for setting such an amazing precedence. In Second place the charming Bad Boys Ticino again showed why they are so strong and winning the men’s category ahead of Team Campz. In the Women’s race Sally & Charlotte set the trend early and powered on to the win! They look strong for the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship in September. All racers did a great job, racing with big smiles and heeding our call to not drop any trash whatsoever. Thank you for this! The ÖTILLÖ Engadin race belongs to Daniel & Kristin, no words can really describe how very strong and humble they both are. It is an honour to be part of this community.
We now have finished 3 race weekends in 6 weeks. No more Qualification spots are available for The ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship in September and we congratulate all teams qualified.
Results ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Engadin
- Igor Nastic and Jean-Marc Cattori (SUI), Team Ticino Bad Boys, 6:30:01
- André Hook and Wolfgang Grohe (GER), Team Campz.com, 6:34:23
- Gilbert Cavedon and Daniel Besse (SUI), Rushteam 2, 6:39:04
- Kristin Larsson and Daniel Hansson (SWE), Team Addnature and Swedish Armed Forces, 6:14:17
- Martina Ågren and Oskar Davidsson (SWE), Team Carbon, 6:56:01
- Elfie Arnaud and Tom Ralite (FRA), Team Belove, 6:57:19
- Salli Carlfjord and Charlotte Eriksson (SWE), Team Öra, 7:17:54
- Lise Darefeuille and Marion Puech (FRA), Team Les Poulettes, 7:41:28
- Naomi Shiniks and Patricia Richardson (GBR), Team Tri London Ladies, 7:44:52
Results ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Sprint Engadin
- Nico Walther and Nico Erne (SIU), Team Nico, 1:57:45
- Colin Murphy and Alex Jackson (GBR), GreatNorthSwim, 2:21:57
- Christian Pirzer and Carsten Liesener (SIU), 2:27:17
- Jean-Claude Besse and Cendrine Gerosa (SUI), Rushteam 3, 1:35:47
- Erich Mikk and Cornelia Banwinkler (AUT), Alpine Chillout, 1:54:45
- Dominik Leu (GER) and Julia Ziemska (AUT), Gross und klein, 1:55:51
- Bibben Nordblom and Charlotta Nilsson (SWE), Puppy ts MAD, 1:35:49
- Corinne Kohler and Patrizia Müller (SUI), Firefly, 2:12:46
- Ladina Friedli and Sophie Erne (SUI), Locals, 2:21:28
Congratulations to all teams who come to start, to all teams that finish, to all podiums and to the overall winners – Daniel Hansson & Kristin Larsson/ Team Addnature & Swedish Armed Forces.
Thank you to all of you, to all staff, to all volunteers, to all media and to our sponsors.