HOW TO GET A SPOT AT THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2022?
ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship in the Stockholm archipelago is the origin to the sport of Swimrun and was first hosted in 2006. Since then it has become one of the most coveted races in the Swimrun world.
This should be a comprehensive guide to how you can get a spot at ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship in 2022.
The entry criteria
Entry to ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship 2022 can be gained in following ways:
A total of 160 spots. Teams of two only.
- All podium teams from ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship 2021 (9 spots)
- Direct qualification (9 spots per event)
Only at an ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series race. 63 potential spots – ÖTILLÖ Cannes, ÖTILLÖ Malta, ÖTILLÖ Catalina, ÖTILLÖ Utö, ÖTILLÖ Isles of Scilly, ÖTILLÖ Engadin, ÖTILLÖ Gothenburg – The 9 spots/ WS event will be distributed between the classes according to the amount of racers per class (4 Men, 3 mixed, 2 women).
- Swimrun ranking (78 spots) Ranking application based on www.swimrunranking.com on December 31st, 2021; application must be made prior to January 20th, 2022 13:59 CET. Team points only – no new teams can be created by putting together individual indicators. The 78 spots will be distributed evenly between the classes according to the amount of application per class. If you apply in more than one category we will select the team with the highest ranking in the respective category (Men, Women or Mixed). Reserve lists will be made per class and are based on ranking. Presentation of teams on the first Thursday of February. Application opens on December 14th at 16:00 CET
- Race Directors choice (10 spots) Used at Race Directors discretion throughout the year for sponsors, media and special circumstances.
Teams that have qualified and have accepted their spot via point 1 – 3 above can not change any team member until after ÖTILLÖ World Series Engadin in 2022. After that we will accept changes in only one team member.
The podium teams
We have since 2006 invited back all the latest podium teams from ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship to the race the following year. These teams will have to accept or decline their spot by March 1st, 2022. They all receive an email in the new year to confirm their participation.
At all the ÖTILLÖ World Series events from the latest World Championship to the next there are nine (9) direct qualification spots available, 63 in total. These direct qualification spots are only given to teams where no racer in the team already has a spot. If a spot is declined it rolls down to the next team. You do not have to be at the award ceremony and you do not have to pay on-site to get your spot. The direct qualification spots are distributed to 4 men, 3 mixed and 2 women teams at each event. This is based on the historical amount of teams per category to make the probability rate as equal as possible. This distribution between the categories can change if the amount of teams per category changes.
You are not automatically given a spot because you are in the ranking system. Before January 20th, 2022 you must send us an application to be considered for Ranking selection to ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship 2022. The application opens on December 14th and will be made through our entry system.
The Swimrun ranking is a “team only” ranking system we have developed to be able to select teams to ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship. The ranking points are only available at ÖTILLÖ World Series races and at ÖTILLÖ Merit races. The points are based on the overall results of the race. No matter which category (men, women or mixed) you are in.
- 40 % of the points are based on your overall result in the race.
- 60 % of the points are based on your time in relationship to the average time of all finishing teams. This means that teams finishing very close together get very similar “time points” in relationship to their position and vice versa. This means that the ranking points are performance driven.
- Races are weighted differently as the World Series races are more difficult to perform well in compared to the Merit races. The base points are multiplied by a co-efficient that are as follows: ÖTILLÖ World Series Races x 1,25 and ÖTILLÖ merit races x 1,0.
- All teams that finish a race get ranking points.
- Your points will devalue with 75 % after 365 days from getting them, after 24 months they will disappear completely.
- Your six (6) best points over the last 24-month period will count towards your ranking (this means that devalued points might be exchanged for more current points).
- If you change partner you are a new team.
Make sure your team points are current and that you have claimed your results for 2020 and for 2021. You do so via www.swimrunranking.com.