Online Race Briefing
May 18, 2022
This is the text to the video below.
A new year and a new race briefing
This is our 17th season of swimrun and let’s make it a fantastic one together.
We realized during the pandemic that this format of doing an online briefing was a great idea. You can take the time and watch it in your own time, when you can focus.
Please watch it to the end, even if you have done lots of races as we have updated many things for this season.
5 days before each race you will get a FINAL RACER INFO NEWSLETTER via email. Make sure you read it properly.
On the Tuesday before the race weekend, we will have a Facebook LIVE session where we will go through race specifics and you will be able to ask questions via text. Our Facebook handle is facebook.com/otillorace
At the race bib distribution one of the Race Directors will be present for you to ask specific questions.
15- minutes before each start we will have a quick briefing by the start line to inform you about race specifics.
Please do not come to the races or bring friends & family if you feel sick or if you have been around someone who is sick. We still need to be aware of Covid-19.
At the race bib distribution
Please come at the allotted time.
Make sure you know your Start number and have it ready for a smooth process.
Please have all the requested documentation – Read the specifics on the website for what is required for your race.
Both teammates need to be there if you are racing in a team.
It will be possible to sign up to all race distances on race days however the entry fees on-site will be higher than the late entry-fee. For price details please see the race pages at the website.
The on-site race sign up will be open from the same time as the race bib distribution for each race distance.
Updated Race bibs and swim cap colors
World Series distance Red bibs and swim caps
Sprint distance Orange bibs and swim caps
Experience distance Purple bibs and swim caps
The solo category for each distance have yellow shoulders on their bibs and yellow swim caps.
In our work trying to be more sustainable you need to return your race bib after you finish so we can use them for the next race.
If there is a bag drop we will let you know in the FINAL RACER INFO
Please bring just a small bag, not your luggage. We have limited space.
Please try to not leave any valuables, the bag drop is not guarded.
The start is on time
Follow the instructions for each destination
The energy stations
Check the website where the energy stations are and what is to be found at each one. We are working with Maurten this year as our sports drink supplier. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE A COLLAPSIBLE CUP OR SOFT FLASK.
At the energy station we recycling bins for paper, plastic and other stuff.
ONLY throw trash/ garbage in the garbage can. Not anywhere else. You will be disqualified.
The finish line
Please keep moving through the finish line
You will need to leave your race bib and your timing chip.
This applies for all races.
The prize giving ceremonies are in the schedule for each race. Make sure you are there if you will be awarded.
RACE SPECIFIC INFO
How to race
As a racer you have a responsible to come prepared to a race. That means that you have to know and understand the rules, you need to read the schedule for the race day, you have to know the course and read all necessary information on the website that concerns your performance.
All the ÖTILLÖ races take place in nature. This means that you need to check weather forecasts and the water temperatures.
You need to understand the terrain you will be running in if it is rocky, hilly, trails or roads.
You need to understand the water you will swim in if it is waves, currents, tides, fresh water or salt water.
All this information will guide you how to prepare both physically and mentally.
It will also guide you in choosing the correct equipment.
We also recommend you to be familiar with your equipment before racing.
These steps are all important to be able to perform at your best.
There is also another element that needs to be considered and that is the respect of the other racers, the organization and nature. Race at your best and do it in a respectful manner.
The entire course is marked and you must follow the course.
On land we have ribbons, flags and signs to guide you. As the courses goes into each other we use the same type of signs where you run on the same track. When there are intersections where the courses split, we have created signs that are of similar color as your race bib.
The swim sections are marked as follows.
- Entry swims: a sign saying “swim section”
- Exit swims: an orange beach flag
- On long swim sections or on a swim where you cannot see the exit we have buoys. An orange buoy is a directional guide and you can swim on either side of it. If we have a green and a red buoy you need to swim between them.
In your race kit you have received the following.
- Timing chip one for each racer. That needs to be attached to your right ankle. You attached it with the Velcro band and you can have it underneath your sock. You need to return your chip. A lost or a non returned chip will be charged 50€.
- The race bib needs to be worn on the outside at all times.
- The Swim cap needs to be worn on all swims.
- 1 wet suit per person
- 1 whistle per person
- 1 first aid pressure bandage (if racing in a team 1 per team)
- 1 foldable cup or soft flask
- If you race in a team you need to be together at all times.
- It is not allowed to have external support
- It is not allowed to throw garbage on the ground along the course. This also applies to the energy stations. If you do it on purpose we will disqualify you.
- Read the full rules on the webpage
- On the courses we have cutoffs that are clearly marked on the maps. The reason we have cutoffs is that we want to organize a safe race for all racers.
- The cut off times are firm and we will apply them.
Abandon the race
- IF you choose to abandon the race Inform a person with a staff vest as soon as possible
- Either go to the finish line on your own or we will organize a transport back to the finish line.
- Drop off your timing chip and bib.
Safety and organisation
- Along the course we have staff that are wearing yellow vests.
- We have safety boats / kayaks for the swims.
- We have a medic team in pink vests along the course if you need help.
- If there is another racer that is in an emergency, help them until someone from the organization comes.