ÖTILLÖ WORLD SERIES UTÖ – JUNE 17th
Hugo Tormento and Max Andersson continue their winning streak, winning their 8th World Series race in a row.
On a beautiful, warm day on the island of Utö, 212 racers from 27 countries started in the first ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series Event of the 2023 season. The World Series course covered a total distance of 32.7 km, comprising of 5.3 km of open water swimming and 27.4 km of partly very technical trail running with a total of 41 transitions between land and water.
The pace of the race was fast from the beginning, and it was not until the challenging trail running sections in the second half of the race that Hugo Tormento and Max Andersson could build a significant lead over the two following French teams of Alexis Charrier and William Even and Matthieu Poullain and Alexis Kardes, who finished second and third.
“This is the best way we can start the season. We were searching for some answers after a long winter where we had some trouble to train, and the result is better than we were expecting, so we are really happy with it and we are really looking forward to the next races, and for sure for the World Championship we are going to get back to work and do everything possible to be the strongest we can be at Ötillö.”, Hugo Tormento said after the race.
In the women’s category, Sabina Rapelli from Switzerland together with Eugenie Plane from France lead the race from start to finish and won 16 minutes ahead of the Swedish team of Lorraine Axegård and Susie Moonan who came second and Angelica Wagneryd & Lena Sjökvist (both SWE) in third place.
In the mixed category Amanda Nilsson and Adriel Young from Sweden repeated their win from 2022 and won seventeen minutes ahead of Kristin Larsson and Daniel Hansson (also Sweden) and the Finnish team of Teemu Toivanen and Heidi Hyvärinen.
Josefine Jangvert and Simon Bjørnholm (both SWE) won female and male categories in the solo race.
The next race of the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series 2023 will he held in Engadin on July 8th.
ÖTILLÖ UTÖ WORLD SERIES RESULTS
1. Team ARK Swimrun – Hugo Tormento FRA & Max Andersson SWE 3:25:06
2. Team Envol HEAD ZOGGS – Alexis Charrier FRA & William Even FRA 3:32:37
3. Team Alexis & Matt – Matthieu Poullain FRA & Alexis Kardes FRA 3:39:52
1. Team ARK Swimrun – Amanda Nilsson SWE & Adriel Young SWE – 3:34:50
2. Team ARK Swimrun – Kristin Larsson SWE & Daniel Hansson SWE – 3:51:21
3. Team Last Run – Teemu Toivanen FIN & Heidi Hyvärinen FIN – 3:52:56
1. Team Envol HEAD ZOGGS Powered by Swijin – Sabina Rapelli SUI & Eugenie Plane FRA 4:05:04
2. Team 56.75 – Lorraine Axegård SWE & Susie Moonan SWE 4:21:40
3. Team Angelena – Angelica Wagneryd SWE & Lena Sjökvist SWE 4:24:14
Winner: Simon Bjørnholm SWE – 3:35:22
Josefine Jangvert SWE – 4:38:33
Another 250 athletes raced in the shorter distance ÖTILLÖ Sprint and ÖTILLÖ Experience races, completing a beautiful day of Swimrun on Utö, the birthplace of the sport.
For the complete results: www.otilloswimrun.com
PHOTOS FOR FREE MEDIA USE
Official images here:
(please credit photographer / ÖTILLÖ)
News cuts and shot list here:
Ötillö Utö 2023
ABOUT ÖTILLÖ AND SWIMRUN
Swimrun is an endurance sports where you alternate trail-running and open-water swimming on a marked course.
ÖTILLÖ is the leading brand and the origin of the sport.
ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship (ÖTILLÖ meaning island to island in Swedish) is the original swimrun race, renowned as one of the toughest one-day races in the world. https://otilloswimrun.com
ÖTILLÖ SWIMRUN WORLD SERIES
ÖTILLÖ World Series Utö is part of the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series and a qualifier to ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship in the Swedish archipelago.
The ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series is in its eighth season with a minimum of four qualifier races for ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship
In 2023, there are four qualifying races to the World Championship:
- ÖTILLÖ World Series Utö, Sweden, 17 June
- ÖTILLÖ World Series Engadin, Switzerland, 8 July
- ÖTILLÖ World Series Gothenburg, Sweden, 6 August
- ÖTILLÖ® World Series Cannes, France, 14 October (qualifier to ÖTILLÖ WC 2024)
At each World Series event an EXPERIENCE & SPRINT race is also organized.
ÖTILLÖ, THE SWIMRUN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
- 17th edition on September 4th, 2023
- 160 teams from all over the world
- 75 km over and between 24 islands in the Stockholm Archipelago. Renowned as one of the toughest one-day races in the world