ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Utö 2016 – Race report
Dear Racers, friends and family! What whipping start to the 2016 Swimrun season!
297 teams registered to start from 18 nations, 245 who actually started (usual 20% that do not come to start) and a total of 232 finishing teams! Well done all of you.
The weather on the day was fair with a strong wind from the North since 2 days which made all the swims on the North end of the course cold, around 9 degrees C. This became very apparent when the teams returned North just before the second cut-off. Many seasoned Swimrunners said it was one of the coldest swims they had experienced 🙂
Besides that the day turned out perfect. Fantastic to see the spirit of adventure and sport all together in one big smile!
We feel that this was the best executed event to date and we feel very good about the continuation of the season. ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Utö has become a massive production which now works so smoothly thanks to our well-oiled staff and thanks to the superb support from the whole island of Utö. So great to see so many spectators on the course which almost resulted in us having to charter one more last minute ferry to get everyone off the island in the last minute.
A huge congratulations to the new winners: Jonas and Lars Ekman/Bröderna Bäver who finished the course in 3H:56M:49S, they also qualified to ÖTILLÖ, The Swimrun World Championship 2016.
Also. very cool see that the first Mixed team finished 3rd overall. Well done Daniel Hansson/Kristin Larsson – Team Addnature – Three mixed teams in the Top 10 overall.
Annika Ericsson, Current Womens ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Champion proved once again why she is so great by picking up a new partner two days before the race – Elisabeth Pärsdotter Westman – and blitzing the womens field together.
- Jonas and Lars Ekman (SWE), Bröderna Bäver, 3:56:49
- Fredrik Axegård and Alex Flores (SWE), Team Runfast77, 4:01:47
- Henrik Wahlberg and Klas Wiréhn (SWE), Team Löplabbet, 4:03:52
- Kristin Larsson and Daniel Hansson (SWE), Team Addnature, 4:03:24
- Marika Wagner and Staffan Björklund (SWE), Apollo Sports/Head Swimming, 4:19:51
- Fanny Danckwardt-Lillieström and Joakim Axelsson (SWE), Team Orca, 4:22:32
- Annika Ericsson and Elisabet Pärsdotter Westman (SWE), Lag PärEric, 4:38:25
- Amanda Fischer and Sara Svensk (SWE), Team Simcoachen, 4:40:37
- Charlotta Nilsson and Bibben Nordblom (SWE), Puppy TS 4:51:28
We also congratulate the 8 teams that Qualified to ÖTILLÖ The Swimrun World Championship 2016 in September.
We thank all racers, all staff, all volunteers and all sponsors. See you next year.
Now, on to ÖTILLÖ Isles of Scilly on June 18th.
Spread the Word!
Michael & Mats
Race Directors ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series