Here you´ll find everything you need to know as a racer at ÖTILLÖ Hvar. Please read this throughly as the information is important for your experience before and during the race.
Good luck and have fun in Hvar!
Mats Skott +46 (0) 73 525 97 01
Michael Lemmel +46 (0) 73 525 97 02
|Friday, March 24th 2017|
|23:59||Last day to make team changes (individual names and team names) These changes must be sent to email@example.com before midnight.|
|Friday, March 31st 2017|
|18:00||One hour presentation of ÖTILLÖ, swimrun, the future of ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series. Get together with the founders of swimrun, Michael Lemmel and Mats Skott. Open for anyone, NOT mandatory. Hotel Amfora|
|Saturday, April 1st, 2017|
|09:00||Race briefing and bib distribution for ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar – Hotel Amfora|
|11:00||Start ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar Main square|
|12:30||First teams expected to finish|
|14:30||Prize giving ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar Main Square|
|15:00||Registration and bib distribution ÖTILLÖ Hvar Main square (until 18:00)|
|17:30||Pre-race welcome drink at Hotel Amfora|
|18:15||MANDATORY Race briefing ÖTILLÖ Hvar at Hotel Amfora|
|Sunday, April 2nd 2017|
|09:00||Start ÖTILLÖ Hvar Main Square|
|10:45||Cut-off Point Pelegrin|
|14:00||Cut-off Hvar Main Square|
|15:00||First team across the finish|
|17:45||Last teams across the finish line|
|18:00||Closing party and prize giving for ÖTILLÖ Hvar at Amfora Hotel|
The island of Hvar is off the coast of Croatia outside of Split. We suggest you fly to Split.
At the airport there is a bus service to the Split harbour to catch the ferry to Hvar town. The fast ferry leaves every day at 2 pm and 4 pm – the ride takes 65 minutes. There is also a car ferry later in the day to Stari Grad. From there you might be able to catch a bus to Hvar town (30 minutes)
Read more about the ferry and buy your tickets at the ferry web site.
If you need any assistance please contact INCroatia with whom we work. They can organise your transfers and other services locally. They speak perfect english.
We are staying at Hotel Amfora. It is perfectly situated, we will have all the functions there and the breakfast is amazing. The hotel has put together a great offer for everyone travelling for the race. See our page about available accommodation.
We strongly recommend their dinner option at 12€, you can not beat that.
Both team members must come to the registration of either the Sprint or the World Series event
You must bring:
The race briefing for the Sprint and for the World Series event will be at Hotel Amfora.
Clearly indicated. Be on time. MANDATORY for both team members.
- Briefing for the ÖTILLÖ Sprint – Saturday, April 1st at 9 am
- Briefing for the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series – Saturday, April 1st at 18:15
Included in the start pack
- Swim cap x 2
- Race map
- Timing chip to be returned
- Race bib to be returned x 2
- Swim cap x 2
- Race bib x 2
- Race map
- ÖTILLÖ Water bottle x 2
- Race briefing drink voucher x 2
- Post- race dinner voucher x 2
- Timing chip to be returned
Race bib and timing chip
The system we use is a chip that you attach around your right ankle with a Velcro strap and when you pass the timing checkpoint your time will be registered. We will have 10 checkpoints along the course and will be reporting your times live on the website. We can only guarantee that you will be registered if you carry the chip around your right. It is important that you return your chip after the race. Non-returned chip will be charged 100 €.
- Your race bib must be worn visible at all times
- Your swim cap must be worn on all swims
- Your timing chip must be worn on your right ankle at all times
Mandatory gear per team is:
- 1 pressure bandage
- 2 wet suits
- 1 compass
- 2 easy-accessible whistles
- Race bibs to be worn on the outside at all times
- Swim cap must be worn visible during all the swims
- Timing chip
Logistic to get to start
The start for both races is at the city main square. Make sure you are on-time.
- You have to be in the start box 10 minutes before the start
- Toilets at the start are found in the Loggia
- If you need to leave clothing by the start line you must put it in a bag and leave in the Loggia. Do not leave valuables as we cannot guarantee the content
The ÖTILLÖ Sprint Hvar does not have any cut-offs
The ÖTILLÖ Hvar World Series has three (3) cut-offs. These are for your safety:
- TIME 2 at 09:45
- TIME 6 at 14:00
- TIME 8 at 15:50
We have cut-offs in our events to make sure that we can have a safe race, these are put in place so that everyone has a possibility to finish before dark and without jeopordizing the safety of others by stretching the safety organization too much. Please respect this and the people enforcing them.
We will have energy and liquid stations along the course as marked in the course map.
- Please eat and drink what is offered, do not take more as there are others behind you
- Please re-use your cup instead of taking multiple cups
We will have water and electrolytes by Precision Hydration at all stations
Beside that we will have bananas, dried fruit, nuts, sandwiches and real food.
At Time 8 and 9 we will have as above plus Red Bull and Cola as well as gels by Winforce.
If you need more GELS than that, bring your own and carry in your wetsuit.
- You must have read and understood the rules before you start
- You race at your own risk
- The team has to stay together at all times. 10 metres apart is the maximum distance allowed.
- The teams have to follow the marked route
- It is not allowed to have assistance from other people than the race organisation. Breach of this rule will result in disqualification
- It is not allowed to throw trash along the course (The only places are at energy stations). Breach of this rule will result in disqualification
- The gear that you have from the start has to be brought to the finish
- FINS – if you plan to use fins make sure that they comply to the new FIN RULE – which means they CANNOT be longer than 15 cm beyond your foot.
DO NOTS IN HVAR
- Do not swim across to the islands outside of the race, it is a shipping lane and can be very dangerous.
- Do not swim across the harbour basin outside of the race, it can be busy and very dangerous.
- Take care of each other; it is a long and tough course.
- We have safety boats and are trying to do our best to cover the course.
- All teams have to help another team in an emergency.
- We have 4 teams of medics on the course.
- Communicate with race officials when help needed.
- If you abandon the race you must communicate with race officials as soon as possible and return the timing chip at the finish line.
SPECIAL NOTE for the World Series event:
- You cannot wear a tow rope before the second swim
- You will get a safety buoy/ team for the swim from TIME 2 to TIME 3. You will get it at TIME 2 and you leave it at TIME 3
- We suggest that you do not use a tow rope between TIME 3 and TIME 4
If the race organisation feels that there is a danger for the racers or the organisation based on weather or other conditions the course can be changed the day before or even in the middle of the race.
Safety is our priority.
We will NOT accept ANY trash along the course. If you throw any trash outside of the provided bins at the energy stations we will disqualify you straight away. Make sure you know how to carry any trash between the different energy stations.
Weather in Hvar
In the end of March and the beginning of April the spring has started with usually dry, sunny weather with outside temperatures close to 18 degrees, this means that it will be warmer in the sun.
Water temperatures are between 16 – 17 degrees C.
Like everywhere we can have wind, rain and un-seasonably cold. Make sure you bring clothes to handle this.
Salt water. The water in Hvar is salty, this has an advantage as you will have more flotation, it also has a disadvantage and that is the possibility for chafe. Make sure you prepare areas that rub so you enjoy both the beginning and the end of the race.
During each race we make a big media production for social media and traditional media. You will see photographers, reporters and film teams.
If you have any personal media contacts that would like to have material from us please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
During the race we will cover it LIVE on http://otilloswimrun.com/live/ please spread the information to all your friends and family.
We will also use #otillohvar to tag ourposts, please do so too.
Our images that we post from the race are free to use for you as racers but not allowed for commercial use to promote other products or events.
Spectators, friend and families
We welcome all spectators, friends and families to participate in our events.
As the course passes through the town centre you will be able to see the start, the middle and the end of the race.
For the off-island section we will have a spectator boat available to follow part of the race from. We cannot guarantee that you will see your team but you will for sure get a feeling of what they are going through. This boat will be bookable for a very reasonable price in the reception of the Amfora hotel.
The post race dinner is open for all friends and family, you can buy a ticket on Friday or Saturday in the Hotel Amfora reception for 25€/person.
NOTE: you may not assist any teams unless if it is a medical emergency. Any other assistance will result in disqualification of the team.