No less than 19 nationalities and almost 750 competitors found their way to the island of Utö in the Stockholm archipelago to compete in the weekend’s swimrun races ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Utö and ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Sprint Utö, a shorter sprint version of 12 km.
ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Utö is a 39,8 km long swimrun around the beautiful but tough course on Utö and surrounding islands. The top teams are increasing their speed for every year and the Swedish brothers Jonas and Lars Ekman were the first team over the finish line as the only team under four hours with 3:56:49.
– We are good at being equally strong, sharing the ’work load’ and pulling each other. That is important when you race in pairs, said Jonas Ekman at the finish line after the important victory. It is the fourth season that the brothers Jonas and Lars Ekman race in swimrun, a quite unknown duo, that will be a force to recon with at the prestigious ÖTILLÖ, the Swimrun World Championship, on September 5th.
The mixed team Daniel Hansson and Kristin Larsson did a sensational race and charged over the finish line as third team overall, only seven minutes after the winners with the impressive time, 4:03:24. Annika Ericsson and Elisabet Pärsdotter Westman were the fastest team in the women’s discipline with the finishing time of 4:38:25.
Top 3 result ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Utö, 29 Maj, 2016
- Jonas and Lars Ekman (SWE), Bröderna Bäver, 3:56:49
- Fredrik Axegård and Alex Flores (SWE), Team Runfast77, 4:01:47
- Henrik Wahlberg and Klas Wiréhn (SWE), Team Löplabbet, 4:03:52
- Kristin Larsson and Daniel Hansson (SWE), Team Addnature, 4:03:24
- Marika Wagner and Staffan Björklund (SWE), Apollo Sports/Head Swimming, 4:19:51
- Fanny Danckwardt-Lillieström and Joakim Axelsson (SWE), Team Orca, 4:22:32
- Annika Ericsson and Elisabet Pärsdotter Westman (SWE), Lag PärEric, 4:38:25
- Amanda Fischer and Sara Svensk (SWE), Team Simcoachen, 4:40:37
- Charlotta Nilsson and Bibben Nordblom (SWE), Puppy TS 4:51:28